As a child I lived for a time in Seoul, South Korea. As an adult, I'll return to Seoul with my husband to adopt a child. This is our journey back to Seoul.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Vacationing while Waiting (Relax, Have a Great Time, and Check your BlackBerry Compulsively)

I have a meeting in Barcelona that begins on April 19th so Alex has generously offered to accompany me and vacation while I work. Actually, it will be really nice to be away for a bit (there are worse things than meetings in Barcelona) and my work is business hours only so we’ll have time to go to dinner, run (marathon training is gearing up now), do some sightseeing. The weak dollar/strong Euro has killed any happiness I had about shopping but I’ll console myself with a glass of cava and some tapas. Alex has a map and stack of travel books so he’ll have fun seeing the sights and it’s an amazing city. From Barcelona we’ll head to Heidelberg for a few days to visit G and her daughter R. We’re set to be gone for about 2 weeks.

I swore I would never get anxious about waiting for a referral and each time our agency has said things are taking a little longer, we’ve chalked it up to positive change in Korea with the encouragement of domestic adoption. But we’re really at the “any day” point and I’m definitely experiencing some anxiety. I called our agency to say we’d be out of the country for a couple of weeks and we discussed what happens if we receive a referral while we’re away. I’m meeting with several physicians in Barcelona that all offered to review medical records if needed but apparently we can wait until we get back. We’ve been waiting for so long, it was strange to actually have to plan for the possibility of a referral while we’re away, but very exciting too.

So we’ll see…..I know I’ve said “almost” for about 5 weeks now but we really are very close. We’re thrilled to be adding a baby to our family but it’s bittersweet in that we know the closer we get to our happiness, almost assuredly there is a family struggling with the aftermath of placing a baby for adoption. It’s just so amazing to think we’re almost a family of three.

We’ll keep you posted and try to write from Barcelona if we can!

Lauren

No comments: