As a child I lived for a time in Seoul, South Korea. As an adult, I'll return to Seoul with my husband to adopt a child. This is our journey back to Seoul.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Importance of Ethical Adoption

The article from CNN highlights the importance of ethical adoption. I’m sad for Allie and for her family but the possibility that there might be a woman in Guatemala missing her daughter is frightening. As difficult as the situation is, I appreciate that the US Government is asking some tough questions to be sure that the adoption is legitimate. Although I'm not sure as to why 13 years later is is still an unresolved issue (timeliness isn't a US Government forte).

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/11/guatemalan.adoption/index.html


It’s a heart-wrenching situation for all parties involved and a reminder to adoptive parents to ask the hard questions ahead of time and to choose agencies and programs carefully. In our desire to have a family, we can’t be blind to the rights of the birth families and the children.

Lauren

No comments: