As a child I lived for a time in Seoul, South Korea. As an adult, I'll return to Seoul with my husband to adopt a child. This is our journey back to Seoul.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year (and Blogger Confessions)

Geeze I’m out of the loop and feeling really disconnected. I haven't had much to say. Life is busy and been posting to my photo blog instead. It’s a little more private and I don’t feel as “naked” since it’s protected. Plus I’ve been kind of discouraged by some of what’s said in the adoption blog arena and I haven’t felt much like engaging. Lately I’ve felt like there’s a lot of dictating of feelings “all adoptees feel this way”, “APs are never going to get it”, “birth mothers couldn’t possibly understand”, etc. Blech. I can’t really speak to anyone’s feelings or understanding. I have a hard enough time figuring out what my own feelings are much less validating (or in many cases, invalidating) those of others. I’m more interested in reading what people think/feel rather than what they think everyone else thinks/feels. Those are the posts that make me think and those are the ones that I learn from. But enough about what I need/want! I know I’m generalizing and there have been some very cool posts (and most excellent news) too.

We had a really nice holiday. Santa stopped by. James didn’t understand Santa but appreciates the really fantastic wagon and toy electric guitar that Santa brought. Santa learned a valuable lesson about “Adult assembly required” and we learned that it is possible for a cat to climb an artificial tree (we have one of each). We had a smaller group for Christmas Day dinner than in previous years but it was probably a blessing (15 for dinner instead of the usual 23-25). We did so much less than we normally do but there was still plenty.


Success!

Santa also brought new running shoes for the half-marathon series and training books hoping I’ll come to my senses and not run the Chicago Marathon in October (peer pressure is a SOB). Sitting around drinking wine while discussing the possibilities with friends didn’t help any. Twenty-six point 2 miles doesn’t seem as intimidating while standing in my pajama pants holding a glass of Bordeaux in one hand and a cookie in the other. James received a new running stroller bunting so he can be part of the action.

And life goes on…James adoption has been cleared for our final steps. I’m sad that this process robs him of his Korean citizenship and truly wish that Korea and the U.S. had a dual citizenship agreement. With all of our efforts to keep him/us connected to Korea, it would be a seemingly small allowance that would mean so much for his future. We’re working on our plans for Seollal too and the timing might be such that we have one celebration for both events. Mostly we’re consumed with the rhythm of life (daycare, work, laundry, learning to walk, what’s for dinner?). I have a couple of posts to muddle through related to adoption (my feelings only, I promise). I’ll get to them soon…really.

So I’ll wish for you what we toasted our guests with on Christmas Day, that your joys outnumber your sorrows and that as you walk into this new year, you have peace, health, and friends and family that you love and trust.

Hold hands, stick together and look both ways before stepping off the curb too.

Lauren

2 comments:

Third Mom said...

Lauren, hi! Happy New Year! Omigosh, James is so, so cute!

Incredible coincidence - I was reading KADNexus today, and here's the post: http://kadnexus.wordpress.com/2008/12/30/korean-adoptees-allowed-dual-citizenship/ Apparently Korea will be allowing dual citizenship, and issues of military service will undoubtedly be resolved soon. Had to share!

Hope all is well in your world!

Lauren P. said...

Margie, I hope you're doing well! Thank you for letting me know about this. The last word we had with our agency was that it wasn't possible but I'll follow up. It breaks my heart to cut this tie for him and knowing that this will change for adoptees is so promising!

Thank you and hopefully we'll see you at the Korean Focus Seollal Celebration.