As a child I lived for a time in Seoul, South Korea. As an adult, I'll return to Seoul with my husband to adopt a child. This is our journey back to Seoul.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 Years Ago

Everyone has their own September 11th story. Everyone brings their own perspective and often in the DC area, it’s more difficult to find someone with no personal story than it is to find someone with one. We all participated in some way. We were all shocked, frightened, desperately saddened, and eventually angry together.

My personal story isn’t about loss. My story is of a family that was unbelievably fortunate. On September 11th my brother-in-law (D) and my husband’s cousin’s (M) offices were destroyed at the Pentagon. The plane crashed into the section of the building where they worked as civilians on a military contract. Pretty much everyone from their division died. Everyone except D and M. Their company had just been bought out and they were in California for the official signing.

That was seven years ago. D has four amazingly beautiful daughters, twins that are 6 now, a 4-year old and a one year old. As I look at pictures of my nieces today, it’s hard to believe that they would not exist if D had been at the Pentagon that day. But they do. I watch them fawn over my son, and run to me with hugs and giggles, I remember today how blessed we are as a family.

My heart aches for those that lost loved ones. I hope that after 7 years there is some peace but know that it will be forever elusive for many. My views about the “why us” or “why not us” are similar to what I feel about the “why me” of adoption. I'm a person of faith but I don’t believe that a higher power helped our family while abandoning others. I don’t believe that anyone was abandoned.

But for the grace of God…

No comments: