As a child I lived for a time in Seoul, South Korea. As an adult, I'll return to Seoul with my husband to adopt a child. This is our journey back to Seoul.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Korean Food - What's on Your Plate?

My brother is teaching at a hagwon in Seoul and he’s having a terrific time. He has some interesting posts, some about Korea and life as an ex-pat. He also has others about politics, music, etc. but he has a terrific post about a list of 100 Korean foods that you must try in your lifetime. The list comes from another blogger (ZenKimchi) but Jamie weighs in with his thoughts too. The list is worth a read and is pretty accurate in terms of the “must tries.”

For those of us that love Korean food, enjoy the post and let me know where you fall in your list “experience.”

http://wetcasements.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/mashiketa/

Admittedly, there are a few things that I won’t try. I’m an adventurous foodie but San Nakji (live octopus) is a no go for me. Sorry. Sen Gan (raw beef liver) won’t ever be checked off on my version of the list as I’m not a huge fan of organ meats (unless it’s foie gras). I can’t consider the boshintang (arf!). Nope. Most of all, something called “Hangover Stew with Clotted Cow Blood” will never, ever pass these lips. How do you make a stew out of a hangover? Just kidding, but as anything referencing blood, or worse, clotted blood? We’re done here.

My dad and I reviewed the list together and he swears that the silkworm larvae (beondaeggi) are fantastic. Larvae aren’t usually something I’m anxious to try but since they’re hard to find in our area, I’m not going to have the opportunity anytime soon. For now, I’ll let Jamie do the experimenting and live vicariously through him.

Ironically, when I lived in Korea my mom and dad were convinced I was going to die of malnutrition. I ate only rice for almost the entire time we were there (a year). Welch's grape juice too since cans of it were available at our corner store. I was an incredibly picky eater as a kid and our move to Korea from Baton Rouge, LA sent me into shock. Apparently buying the chicken from the grocery store is very different from seeing the chickens get their heads cut off at the market. Where was the peanut butter and white bread? Not in Seoul. It's there now but not when I was a child. My love for Korean food now is something that my dad finds highly amusing. And I haven't eaten white bread in years.

All kidding aside, reading the list made me hungry and really made me want to try something new. We’re planning Baby James’ tol in October so the list got us talking about what we want to make for the party. The staples are there, buldak, deodeok, bibimbap, bulgolgi, etc., but there are lots of lesser known specialties that are excellent. If you’re State-side, look up a Korean restaurant you’ve wanted to try and make a reservation. Cross something off of your own list! Or check out Epicurious or Allrecipes and search by “Korean” for some new make at home dishes.

Enjoy!

Lauren

No comments: