As a child I lived for a time in Seoul, South Korea. As an adult, I'll return to Seoul with my husband to adopt a child. This is our journey back to Seoul.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Our Happy Coincidence

Jamie signed his offer and is leaving for Seoul most likely at the end of the summer. Such good news and we're so proud of him. It has to be scary, picking up your life and moving to a country where don't know the language. I think he's very brave and I admire him for making the move. He's ordered some Korean language CDs from the local library. He's also looking into the ex-pat blog community to see about establishing some connections there (he has a writing/music/political blog).

It's strange how this worked out. He never set out to find a job in Korea but...that's what happened. Out of all of the countries where he could have gone, not to mention the possibilities within the U.S., the fact that he's heading to Seoul is amazing. We never imagined that this would happen but we are so happy this opportunity came about.

So he'll spend the summer wrapping up the details. He's figuring out what he wants to buy to take with him and what he can buy in Seoul. My initial response was wait until you get to Seoul (my thinking was big city, great shopping) but he posted a question on a blog community yesterday: "If I'm a 6'1" man and wear a size 12 shoe, will I be able to buy clothes in Seoul?" He said he received some really nice responses but the answer was definitely "buy before you get here." Really helpful information and I never would have thought of it but I'm not 6'1".

On a purely selfish level, I'm happy for our son and for the connection that I hope he'll have to his uncle. It looks like we'll miss each other in Seoul though as our travel date will probably be end of July/1st week of August.

Congratulations Jamie on this new beginning!

Lauren

No comments: